These are an amazing quick, tasty, and budget-friendly snack that you can make ahead (think: weekend meal prep) which is also really healthy and highly customisable. Do you get any better snack-wise?
I modelled these on a salad favourite: the caprese. Use sundried tomatoes for something that tastes even MORE like a pizza. Pizza-flavoured nutrition? Yes please!
These taste amazing fresh out the oven, but are perfect to pop in a lunch box (or breakfast box…?) I’m personally perfectly satisfied with not having to heat these babies up – quite like eating an unheated quiche – but if you do prefer them warm, then these may be less convenient for you than they are for anyone else.
Caprese Egg Cups
- 8 eggs
- 30 ml milk
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 60g grated cheese of choice (mozzarella for a more authentic caprese version)
- 125g cherry tomato halves
- Torn up leaves of basil
- Beat the eggs with the milk and seasoning until yolks are all combined
- Add the fillings and combine well
- Pour evenly into a prepared (greased) muffin pan, about 2/3 full
- Bake at 180°C for 20-30 minutes until cooked through – they will look less wet and wobbly
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly before removing from the muffin pan