Raw. Vegan. Gluten free. Other fancy buzz words that convince you that something is healthy, and allows you to convince yourself that you are totally allowed to eat as many of these as you would like. Calories don’t count if the food is healthy, right? Right?!
I truly wish this was the case. These tasty bars are full of healthy goodness, and no added preservatives or anything funny, and they are totally irresistible. But you do need to resist, at least just a little bit, because with all those nuts, they are quite heavy in calories because of all those good fats. And, although they are sweetened naturally using just dates, that many dates do contain a lot of (natural) sugar, so just be careful not to eat the whole tray at once.
But again, I wouldn’t blame you if you did. If it hadn’t been for my need to share this marvellous creating with the world, I would have eaten them all myself in one go. Oh, and the fact that I am meant to be eating clean, which is supposed to include “moderation”. Whatever!
- 1 Cup pitted dates
- 1 Cup cashews
- 1 ½ Cups pitted dates
- Cup pecan nuts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 40-60ml water
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Blitz the cashews and dates together, adding a dash of vanilla essence for flavour if you like, or just a teaspoon or so of water to help it together. Press this down in a lined tray (24cm x 24cm), and place the tray into the fridge or freezer while you work on the next layer
- Place the ingredients for the filling in the food processor, and let the dates soak for a bit, before blitzing these together until a smooth paste/sauce forms. Pour this over the chilled base, and return to the fridge or freezer
- Melt the ingredients for the chocolate topping together and mix thoroughly, making sure there are no lumps. Pour this over the top, and place in the fridge or freezer to set
- Cut up into squares and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the fridge, especially in hot weather (like we’ve been experiencing at the moment. Trust me, these babies melt quickly when it’s hot)