I had to figure out which blog to put these tasty treats on – they’ve got peanut butter and oats, which can be super healthy, but there’s also a lot of sugar. I guess that makes them about as healthy as muffins… The other problem is that they are so tasty that it’s a major challenge to eat them in moderation… Hence the recipe for these can be found on my other blog.
I’m seriously looking forward to winter when the nights grow longer (more cuddles), the snoods come out (all-day cuddles… with yourself, but still!), and I get to enjoy soup for every meal. I used to hate the idea of soup for some reason, but since discovering how easy and customisable soups are, I’ve become a huge fan. I’m still pretty boring with the flavours I’ll use, but you just can’t go wrong with tomato or butternut soup. I promise I will explore more soups in the near future.
Most soups tend to start with a base of onions, carrots, and celery (plus any other random vegetables that come in those pre-packed vegetable soup packs).
I added the basil in quite early so add flavour to the base ingredients. Pop a couple of tomatoes in from there, the redder and juicier the better, and a good portion of cherry tomatoes for that real tomato taste.
Then add every single form of canned tomato that you’ve got in your fridge, season well, add some water or vegetable stock and then just leave it for the flavour to develop and the soup to reduce down…
Puree the soup down, season a little more to taste, and enjoy. Or freeze for later enjoyment. That is absolutely one of my favourite things about soup: the way you can make in bulk for the week ahead, and still have enough to freeze for a different week.
Tomato and Basil Soup
- 1 large onion
- 4 peeled and roughly chopped carrots
- 2-3 sticks of roughly chopped celery
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 6 tomatoes
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tin of tomato puree
- 1 tin of chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1 tin of tomato and onion mix
- 1.5L of water
- Mixed seasoning (Herbamare, salt and pepper)
- Cover the bottom of a heavy-bottomed pot with olive oil and add the onions. Simmer until brown
- Add the basil, celery and carrots. Cook on medium until softened
- Add your large and cherry tomatoes and cook until softened – some of the chopped tomatoes may even become a bit mushy, that’s a good sign
- Add your tinned tomatoes of every variation and stir it up. Add your water/stock and your seasoning. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer
- Stir occasionally, ensuring ingredients are not sticking to the bottom. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or more if the ingredients are still hard
- Remove from the heat and puree, either using a stick blender, a normal blender or in a food processor
- This can be eaten straight away, stored in the fridge or frozen
These are an amazing quick, tasty, and budget-friendly snack that you can make ahead (think: weekend meal prep) which is also really healthy and highly customisable. Do you get any better snack-wise?
I modelled these on a salad favourite: the caprese. Use sundried tomatoes for something that tastes even MORE like a pizza. Pizza-flavoured nutrition? Yes please!
These taste amazing fresh out the oven, but are perfect to pop in a lunch box (or breakfast box…?) I’m personally perfectly satisfied with not having to heat these babies up – quite like eating an unheated quiche – but if you do prefer them warm, then these may be less convenient for you than they are for anyone else.
Caprese Egg Cups
- 8 eggs
- 30 ml milk
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 60g grated cheese of choice (mozzarella for a more authentic caprese version)
- 125g cherry tomato halves
- Torn up leaves of basil
- Beat the eggs with the milk and seasoning until yolks are all combined
- Add the fillings and combine well
- Pour evenly into a prepared (greased) muffin pan, about 2/3 full
- Bake at 180°C for 20-30 minutes until cooked through – they will look less wet and wobbly
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly before removing from the muffin pan
View this post on Instagram
3 day juice cleanse from @blissjuicery starts today! Who needs food right 😜 just kidding, can't wait to have a healthy meal once this liquid diet is over! Time to #detox to make sure the rest of the #cleaneating is effective 👍🏼 #fit #fitness #fitchick #health #healthy #healthysnack #diet #juicecleanse #juice #cleanse #exercise #getlean
8am Yes! I can do this! I just need to stick to my eating window, drink lots of water, this is going to be a breeze!
9am Ok, I feel like eating now… It’s just juice, does it really count as food? Yes, it kinda does because it is calories. Let’s just try stick to the eating window as much as possible
10am I’m done, that vanilla almond milk is just too tempting. Let’s drink!
10:30am That almond milk was amazing, totally worth it! I wish there was more…
11:30am I’m hungry now… Let’s try drink juice number 2 nice and slowly. After all, it’s a green one and it has broccoli, I should be able to pace myself, right? Nevermind…
12am I shouldn’t eat so close to yoga… But drinking is fine right?
1:30pm (halfway through yoga) Man, I need to pee!
2pm Pure relief! And another juice! So pineapple-y and tasty! I love it!
3:30pm I should wait to have my dinner juice at around 5, then evening snack when I get home from work at 7
4pm *Drinks dinner*
7pm Cacao almond milk… I will have dreams about how good you tasted tonight…
Verdict: Not as hungry as last 1-day cleanse, not as emotional by the end of the day (probably because of the extra sugar and the additional almond milks which really start and end the day with bliss), and motivated for day number 2!
Notes: BF’s dinner looks and smells incredible… I’m craving brown rice. Or avo on low Gi bread… Or nuts… Not feeling hungry per se, but definitely feel like eating…
5am Just don’t think about it, just keep busy, “breakfast will come”
6:15am Time to give a spinning class! Let’s see how this goes on no food…
7am Best spinning class ever! I’m so pumped to keep training!
7:45am (15 minutes into 45 minute Nike+ Training Club workout) Ok, I’m over this, this is tiring, I just want to shower and have that yummy almond milk… *checks abs in the mirror – finds motivation* Nevermind, let’s keep rocking this! Abs are screaming to get through all those layers, let’s keep it up!
8:30am Is it too early to have my first milk…? I’m hungry now, so hungry!
9am Ok, 9am is a good time, it’s been 14 hours since my last “meal”, that’s a totally fine eating window. Let’s just try make the deliciousness last as long as possible. *downs it* Whoops… Still, so beautifully creamy and tasty!
10am I really should wait another hour until the next drink… But I really don’t want to… I am going to eat this table in the sleep I’m about to be subjected to if I don’t drink one now. Who would have thought broccoli and courgettes could taste so incredible?! Hopefully that keeps me satisfied…
11am I can’t do this. I’m starving… My tummy isn’t grumbling, but I feel empty and craving everything! I need to drink my next one… It’s beetroot, and it tastes even better than it did yesterday. Maybe I can drink all my juices today, and start on tomorrow’s juices when I get home tonight, I wonder if that will make a difference?
12pm Toilet says yes to the above statement… You’ve got work to do, you really need to slow down on all this liquid!
1:30pm That’s much better juice spacing. And it’s time for the tasty tropical one too. The tears I was just in, the absolute state I was in, have now passed. Yay for “food”. On the plus side, I made it 12 extra hours into the cleanse without crying compared to last time. It was only a matter of time.
4pm I think my body is now used to this idea of absence of food, and has accepted that it is still getting the vitamins and minerals that it needs to function, even if it’s lacking in the fibre and protein. Time to settle in to my second green for the day.
7pm Time for cacao almond milk, and it’s even more tasty and satisfying than yesterday! One the one hand, I can’t believe I have a whole extra day of this to go through, and on the other hand, yay I still have 2 more almond milks awaiting my enjoyment!
8pm *Driving* This seems kinda dangerous… I feel like it’s 2am… Just keep your eyes open, you’ll be fine
9:30pm *Falls asleep on the couch after being there for 15 minutes*
Finally the last day!
7:30am I just can’t wait… First milk down the hatch!
9:30am Wow, I made it this long without needing second juice? Yay me. Time to celebrate with some green!
11:30am Keep pushing the 2 hour window… You can do this!
2pm Post-yoga yellow sweetness. I will miss you when this is over. Though you are probably the reason I will need fillings soon: so much sugar!
4:30pm Last juicy juice, you’re yummy but I won’t miss you
6:30pm Cacao goodness makes a delicious and sweet farewell to this expedition. You are the reason I would come back to this madness, though I know I can buy you outside of the cleanse as well, thankfully!
I figured that after yesterday’s enthusiasm, I may just cut back on the calories and such on this Friday. I started out with good intentions, but it didn’t quite go as planned. It wasn’t a terrible day though (at least as far as my eating window goes), so let’s just call it “being back on track”. For now…
- I finished that vanilla popcorn from yesterday…
- And the other half of the peanut butter pretzels…
- 1 packet Haribo minions
- Niki bar
- Chicken salad with avocado, cucumber, tomato, mixed greens, and feta that was off so I gave that a skip
- Something else that I can’t remember but put me way over calories…
- 40 minutes Calisthenics Hand-balancing training
- 90 minutes moderate-high intensity yoga
Raw. Vegan. Gluten free. Other fancy buzz words that convince you that something is healthy, and allows you to convince yourself that you are totally allowed to eat as many of these as you would like. Calories don’t count if the food is healthy, right? Right?!
I truly wish this was the case. These tasty bars are full of healthy goodness, and no added preservatives or anything funny, and they are totally irresistible. But you do need to resist, at least just a little bit, because with all those nuts, they are quite heavy in calories because of all those good fats. And, although they are sweetened naturally using just dates, that many dates do contain a lot of (natural) sugar, so just be careful not to eat the whole tray at once.
But again, I wouldn’t blame you if you did. If it hadn’t been for my need to share this marvellous creating with the world, I would have eaten them all myself in one go. Oh, and the fact that I am meant to be eating clean, which is supposed to include “moderation”. Whatever!
- 1 Cup pitted dates
- 1 Cup cashews
- 1 ½ Cups pitted dates
- Cup pecan nuts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 40-60ml water
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Blitz the cashews and dates together, adding a dash of vanilla essence for flavour if you like, or just a teaspoon or so of water to help it together. Press this down in a lined tray (24cm x 24cm), and place the tray into the fridge or freezer while you work on the next layer
- Place the ingredients for the filling in the food processor, and let the dates soak for a bit, before blitzing these together until a smooth paste/sauce forms. Pour this over the chilled base, and return to the fridge or freezer
- Melt the ingredients for the chocolate topping together and mix thoroughly, making sure there are no lumps. Pour this over the top, and place in the fridge or freezer to set
- Cut up into squares and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the fridge, especially in hot weather (like we’ve been experiencing at the moment. Trust me, these babies melt quickly when it’s hot)
Prepping for the Halloween run tonight – totally means I can carbo load, right? On Tuesday/Wednesday, I had the bright idea of buying a Kauai wrap, getting my free smoothie as part of their promotion, and then saving the wrap for lunch the next day. It worked out really well. I tried to do this again today (nice smoothie for today, with a wrap for lunch tomorrow). Alas, I was too hungry and ended up enjoying the smoothie, then the wrap. I then proceeded to buy even more snacks. I’m putting it down to copious amounts of exercise for the day. Let’s hope there hasn’t been too much damage.
Side note: don’t let me go into Woolies. Like, ever. Especially when there’s too much month at the end of my money, and especially when I am trying to eat clean.
- 9 Bar
- Bliss energy balls
- Yoghurt with banana, blueberries, chia seeds and honey
- Chocolate low calorie protein shake with a spoon of powdered peanut butter
- Tasters of red velvet cake
- Kauai Tropical wrap
- Kauai Cacao Cream (LCHF) smoothie
View this post on Instagram
@Kauaisa has gone all crazy and is putting #avocado in their smoothies. It's actually not bad, until you get a hunking mouthful of pure avo… #smoothie #health #healthy #healthysnack #snack #shake #natural #exercise #fitness #fit #fitchick #fitforlife #cleaneating #gains #cacao #lchf #banting #coconut
- Sample of new Woolworths vanilla and sea salt popcorn
- Half a packet of new Woolworths Peanut Butter-filled Pretzels (packet not tub)
- Half a Biogen energy bar
- 45 minutes moderate-high intensity spinning class
- 60 minutes light intensity yoga
- 30 minutes Nike+ Training Club random workout
- 2x 300m sprints
- 8,5km night trail run
This week is going pretty well. Feeling a little bloated and a little flat after the weekend, but keeping on keeping on!
- 2 peanut butter balls
- Kauai Moroccan chicken wrap
- Chicken breasts with bacon, low fat cream cheese, tomato pesto and cherry tomatoes
- Greek yoghurt with peanut butter, blueberries, strawberries, chia seeds and honey
- Bliss Energy Balls
- Pork sausage
- 45 minutes spinning
- 40 minutes of cali-core
My training program optimistically assumed I had been keeping up with the prescribed running… That was such a lie, and I nearly died after 35 minutes of running. Granted it was really hot, and I had probably eaten too recently. Honestly, between yoga and running, how would one find time to eat, ever?
- Greek yoghurt with strawberries, honey, chia seeds and banana slices
- Multigrain rice cakes with cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes
- Bliss Energy Balls
- Gem Smoothie from Kauai
View this post on Instagram
Trying to get rid of the redness post #run with a nice cool and refreshing Gem #smoothie from the new @kauaisa . Seriously impressed with all their new smoothies, this one was another stunner, so tasty!! #protein #herbafit #h24 #peanutbutter #banana #kauaisa #nuts #honey #shake #postworkout #workout #fit #fitchick #fitness #fitforlife #exercise #asics #running #training #getlean #getfit #cleaneating #health #healthy #healthysnack
- Pork sausages
- Leftover roast chicken
- Frozen greek yoghurt cup with “chocolate” all bran hay stacks
- Leftovers from making a peanut butter grenade smoothie
- 6km run (my attempt at the 75 minute run that N+TC thought I would be fit enough to do by now)
- Chest and tricep workout from the Captain of Defianz Calisthenics (4 rounds of various forms of push ups and tricep dips)
- 15 minutes on the elliptical
- 60 minutes low intensity yoga
“I really should exercise today,” she thinks to herself as if she could be convincing about such things…
I cooked a lot today, you know, standard meal-prep Sundays. I was trying out a bunch of new healthy snack recipes, most of which were pretty successful too (tasty and nutritious), if not very pretty at all. The snacks were also an attempt at making budget healthy snacks, so the protein content was a little lower than I would have liked. I will share the recipes once all of this is over and I am in my “maintenance” phase (another thing I am working on convincing myself that I will be able to do…)
- 2 Pork sausages
- Fried egg on toast with cheese
- Homemade granola bars
- Homemade all bran flake “chocolate” hay stacks
- Homemade energy bites
- All bran flakes with milk
- Small bowl of frosties with milk (because I am a sucker for cereal)
- Cauliflower rice
- Spicy lamb
Cooking counts as exercise, right?